This project begins on the Winter Solstice and ends on the Spring Equinox. Start date is December 21st, 2014 – ending date is March 21st, 2015.
We realize the start date is just around the corner. This project, however, will be structured a bit differently from the Community 100DayProject.
The Out of the Darkness project invites you to study, document, journal, create, practice, explore, make, observe, or initiate something new each week. This is meant to be a weekly hands-on visual, written, or audio interpretation of whatever interests you during the 13 weeks between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. Whatever will help bring you out of the darkness….
Rules: there are none.
Guidelines…if you want some structure or an assignment:
- Center your project on one theme – it can be a broad as you like.
- Commit to doing something hands-on at least once a week.
- Keep it fresh, let it go where it takes you.
- Flow is the key word here.
- Don’t get caught up in quality
- Consider this a first draft in the creative process.
- Relax your standards and expectations.
- Find a buddy or start a group to share your experience with.
And So it Begins! I have had an idea for a body of work since September, but have not had time to dive in. I have been gathering vintage circus images and material. I am intrigued with the idea of "running away with the circus"...especially when school was starting in September! I have been thinking about an epic journey of a girl or woman who is running away to join the circus. Along the way she meets many characters: a talking crow, a swarm of bees and a bee charmer, and murmurations of starlings. I am thinking about doing some writing to accompany these images. I am loving the weekly progress of the project. Weeks are better time increments for me than days. Maybe by the end of our journey the girl will find her place in the circus or wherever the journey will lead her.