Saturday, July 11, 2009

posts for july 11, 12, 13







greetings. I am going to visit some family tomorrow until monday, so I thought I would post this piece all at once...process and together. I am not sure where the idea came from...found images including hands...then the hex...then some kind of motif to add interest..I thought it would be natural to use the mehndi: Mendhi (also Mehandi, Mehendi, etc.) is the application of Henna as a temporary form of skin decoration in South Asia, Southwest Asia, North Africa and the Horn of Africa, as well as by expatriate communities from these areas. Mehendi decorations became fashionable in the West in the late 1990s, where they are sometimes called henna tattoos. Henna is typically applied during special occasions like weddings and festivals. It is usually drawn on the palms and feet, where the color will be darkest because the skin contains higher levels of keratin which binds temporarily to lawsone, the colorant of henna. Henna was originally used as a form of decoration mainly for brides.

I am pretty excited about working on and posting my next series: dog days of summer (the dog star series). After that, I will be doing 2 workshops and "art in the garden"...event....SO, I think I will shift gears before the 24th...and then after my week at WMU, start on some Bigger pieces for entry shows. I HOPE TO SELL SOME ART SOON!!:)

No comments: